Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Hydrangeas: Can Florist's Bargain Be Saved?, 0 by Jax4ever

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Jax4ever

Subject: Can Florist's Bargain Be Saved?

Forum: Hydrangeas

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Can Florist's Bargain Be Saved?
Jax4ever wrote:
Hi-
My 1st time on the Hydrangea forum!
I grow everything (well...) but I have had ZERO luck w/ hyds. I purchased a dwarf pink hyd from a large commercial grower about 6 years ago; it died back down to the soil each year. It lived for about 4 years; each year getting smaller- it only bloomed one bloom during this time.
Yesterday, I spotted a lovely pink hyd in a pot at my grocery store. It was staged outdoors w/ the perennials, and it was marked $4! (down from $24.99!!). I snapped it up-
Now what?
The label simply says "Hydrangea macrophylla. Keep moderately moist. Bright/indirect light is best. Use a balanced, slightly acid fertilizer after flowering. Cool-moderate temps. 60-70."
So, is this not cold hearty? I imagine this is a "florist's" hydrangea, meant to be an indoor gift plant, carefully forced to bloom at just the right time and color, then tossed in the garbage. Still, it is lovely and I'd like it to live- preferably outdoors, (I'm in zone 6a).The color is spectacular. I understand that the color is a result of the soil ph. How do I get my $4 grocery-store bargain to thrive? Or can I?