Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Perennials: Show Us Your Columbine #2, 0 by wallaby1

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright wallaby1

In reply to: Show Us Your Columbine #2

Forum: Perennials

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Show Us Your Columbine #2
wallaby1 wrote:
In the bed with the double petticoats there are Hibiscus syriacus, in front Centaurea montana, and I have Dahlia Bishop's Children at the front which grow later.

The mass of self sets are in a fairly sheltered spot which gets some sun and shade, I have Papaver patty's Plum behind, delphiniums and Campanula Blue Bloomers to come later. Amongst the aquilegia are Commelina dianthifolia which grow later, and a few self set pansies, the ground is always covered.

Some others, Sunburst Ruby and a purple version with yellow foliage and self sets are behind Aster Tonga Island, Pittosporum Tom Thumb, Phlox Nicki. There was a Viburnum plicatum Mariesii behind which looked lovely but it died, I have replaced it with Magnolia sieboldii which is still young, some lilies are there too in front, and I have put some Cardiocrinum giganteum offsets amongst them. The lot gets both shade and a little sun.

Sunburst Ruby etc....a poor pic taken of a Thrush through the window on zoom, but it shows the arrangement. At the left is Ceanothus Pershore Zanzibar, then a variegated holly, under it Lathyrus vernus, lilies near, at the right aster starting to grow with some lilies behind, then Pittisporum with a creeping Clematis Piilu between them, Phlox to the right of Pittosporum. The dahlias grow at the front where the crocus foliage is dying off.