Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Propagation: how deep can I plant leggy impatiens?, 0 by critterologist

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright critterologist

In reply to: how deep can I plant leggy impatiens?

Forum: Propagation

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of how deep can I plant leggy impatiens?
critterologist wrote:
Suzy's tip about high humidity around the cuttings is a really good one!

I root a lot of things in plastic-domed deli trays, like the 6 inch square plastic containers you can pick up at any salad bar. I put at least half a dozen little holes in the top for ventilation and a similar number of holes in the bottom for drainage/watering (a metal skewer heated on the stove works really well for this, but be sure you have good ventilation). Those little containers will hold an inch or so of potting mix, and they have a couple inches of headroom for the cuttings (use taller containers for larger cuttings). Moisten potting mix until it holds together when you squeeze it but falls apart again easily when you open your hand all the way (palm flat). I like to add a small amount of polymer moisture crystals to the mix, just to help keep the moisture levels more even.

Here's the thing that I find about using a dome of some sort.... You know the moisture level is about perfect if there's a little breath of condensation on the inside of the dome. If you're seeing big droplets of water condensing, the mix is too wet, and you need to open the lid for a bit to let things dry out. No condensation means the mix is getting too dry. A few little ventilation holes really help to keep things perfect, IMO.

Just make sure none of the stems or leaves of the cuttings touch the inside of the dome or plastic bag that you use to cover your cuttings... the condensation that forms on the surface can mean trouble in terms of rotting the foliage that comes in contact with it.

Let's see if I have a photo.... Here's a salad container with african violet leaves... see the little breath of condensation on the inside of the lid? See the holes poked in the lid? That's what I'm trying to describe.