Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Specialty Gardening: Vines and tall plants, 0 by jkom51

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright jkom51

In reply to: Vines and tall plants

Forum: Specialty Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Vines and tall plants
jkom51 wrote:
Another bloom powerhouse is the pink cestrum. Mine gets bad attacks of scale, though, so you really need to keep an eye on it. I don't use systemics after I realized the hummers love this plant, it will keep them year-round as it literally never stops blooming.

The red and pink varieties, which are newer hybrids, are not as tall or tough as the traditional yellow cestrum. However, they fit better into urban gardens - the pink gets around 6x6, multi-stemmed and occasionally rangy. But they respond well to pruning, and as I mentioned, the hummers adore them.

Here's a photo of it from a couple of years ago - it's the one on the RH side above the gazania groundcover.

Also worth noting is the pale pink (it looks almost white; my digital camera isn't high res) plant next to it - the rare Ceanothus pallidus 'Marie Simon', which likes partial shade. Alas, this one didn't live for me, I think it was a bit too damp and/or shady for it.