Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Propagation: Greenhouse vs. basement, 0 by diamond123

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright diamond123

In reply to: Greenhouse vs. basement

Forum: Propagation

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Greenhouse vs. basement
diamond123 wrote:
Hey La, I just put this together the last month in preparation for cuttings this year, I picked up tid bits of information here and there, everything used can be obtained locally at Lowes or home Depot with the exception of a few items. Lowes was my choice for a lot of it. Very simply it its just a drip system hanging over a bunch of plants with mister nozzels or fogging nozzels I have both, and used the fogging nozzel first, because it is real soft and easy on leaves then I used the regular mister. All of this is connected to a valve at the hose bib that is regulated by a timer.
I first ran the trunk line above the plants and then back to the place a hose hook-ups to (hose bib). Then at measure intervals of four feet I punctured the 1/2 main line with a little tool they sell, then inserted smaller barbed fittings to which I attached smaller 1/4 line and at the end of the line about 2' above the plants I attached the mister heads. I also attached a end fitting to the Main line to stop the water. At the other end I attached the main 1/2 line to a low voltage valve that was regulated by a timer. Now that's the part I bought elsewhere, although you can get timers at Lowes that will work, I wanted the timing distance a little closer than what those timers offered. I wanted to mist for 10-15 seconds every ten minutes for the first two days then mist for 10-15 seconds every 60 minutes. A timer like that was not available at Lowes. The one they had was on for 2 minutes every two hours. Now all this is available in kit form and the timer sold from the same place.
I have about 250.00 in the system with the timer costing around 190.00. It is available at Berry Hill Irrigation. I have purchased their kits for my containers and hanging baskets so they are watered regularly, with those I can use the cheaper timer that turns on for two minutes or more every day. Last year my brugs suffered because I couldn't keep up with their water needs, so this year I ran a main trunk and will come off of it to water most of my containers. You can also put the miricle grow hose end feeder in line and fertilize at the same time. All this is online at Berry Hill. So far I have been real impressed at the coleus cuttings and some of the seeds I started. The lights I use are Metal Halide and Flourescents (six tube). These were raised for the pictures and are normally a little closer to the plants.
The controller I purchased is by Phytotronics and is model 1A. and retails for 195.00
Here is some information on misting.
http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/lists/rosespro/2003063646004668...
Here is berry hill
http://www.berryhilldrip.com/index.htm
Here is a photo of the misting table
Dan

This message was edited May 1, 2007 10:47 AM