Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Carnivorous Plants: Do you cut back pitcher plants?, 0 by Equilibrium

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Equilibrium

In reply to: Do you cut back pitcher plants?

Forum: Carnivorous Plants

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Do you cut back pitcher plants?
Equilibrium wrote:
Hi tortoisekeeper (love your username),

That's a nice spacious pot for your plant. Bet that plant looked really great when it was actively growing.

I notice you are from TN. As a rule of thumb, that plant probably could have been overwintered just fine outside in your zone but it might not have been good for the plant to have it just in that pot on the patio. It's too susceptible to rapid freeze/thaw cycles in an exposed pot in your zone. If you want to overwinter it again outside next fall, it might be best to dig a hole the same dimensions as your pot and recess it into the ground and mulch it heavily. If your plant is going to be overwintered outside, you might want to consider cutting down all pitchers to about 6" or so in fall. Reduces wind drag. If push comes to shove, you can always drag the whole plant (pot and all) into your unheated garage for the winter then drag it out again next spring. Try to keep it damp, not moist. I think you might have a happier plant this way.

If it's not too much trouble, could you please gently clear the area around the crown of your plant and take another photo to share please?

Back to your original question. Based on the photo I am seeing, I'd be careful cutting it back right now. That plant may be carnivorous but it still photosynthesizes like a "normal" plant and I'm not seeing any new growth from the crown. I don't know that it isn't there, but I'm just not seeing it. If you feel the need to give your baby a hair cut, try cutting at the areas I marked for you in your photo-