Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Irises: the good and the bad - HELP!, 0 by avmoran

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright avmoran

In reply to: the good and the bad - HELP!

Forum: Irises

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of the good and the bad - HELP!
avmoran wrote:
Lilyfantn
Leaf Spot can be treated with just about any fungicide that is effective against this disease ( see your local garden center) usually applied early growing season but you can trim and apply now.

For Rot prevention Raised beds, add pea gravel if soil is too heavy along with your compost and sand. pH is a big this with rot and adding lime before the wet season really gets going can make a difference. giving your iris and allowing air flow also helps prevent rot as the leaves dry out better. There is also a possibility of grubs. Not just Iris borers but white grub, wireworms and other parasites that can be drawn to iris. Merit which is in Bayer Season long grub control takes care of most of these. Wireworms can be stubborn and you may need Triazicide which I use with the Bayer

Some Rot Treatments: As early as this rot is you might also want to try, do not laugh, listerine 1:1 and pour it over the rhizome after you pull infected leaves and scrape away any mush (use glove when you are doing this as this stuff is nasty). You can also try comet or other with bleach after cleaning I have used both and both are effective, listerine is just easier for me.

Hope this helps
Anita