Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Specialty Gardening: Plant challenge :-), 0 by Seandor

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Seandor

Subject: Plant challenge :-)

Forum: Specialty Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Plant challenge  :-)
Seandor wrote:
Can you help me?

We have a small side balcony that is accessed through our bedroom window. (It's a faux balcony, I guess). It is on the 2nd floor and faces south, though it is often shaded by very tall fir trees and the neighbour's house. The balcony is completely covered.

I would like to grow some plants in pots on the balcony - plants that would be visible from below in the garden. We could for instance, have window boxes on the railing of the balcony - or maybe large pots.

BUT - this window is also the window where we place the air conditioner in the summer. And the air conditioner is only put in place when it is both hot and humid.

So once the hot weather arrives - no chance of watering the plants. Also, little chance of rain watering the plants because of the balcony being covered.

So can you name plants that might thrive a month or so without any substantial watering except the possible wind-driven spray of rain? does such a plant exist? Could it exist in humid weather with little or no water?

I have thought of buying plastic plants . . .

In the picture - if you look at the left side of the house, at the second story - it's the white curved railing area.

Any suggestions?