Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Specialty Gardening: Green Screen from windowboxes?, 0 by critterologist

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright critterologist

In reply to: Green Screen from windowboxes?

Forum: Specialty Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Green Screen from windowboxes?
critterologist wrote:
I've heard that hops is a fast-growing vine that makes a wonderful, dense green screen... You could mix something like that with some prettier flowering vines... Love in a Puff has lovely, lacy foliage that would add a nice layer of texture, see http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/648/index.html

About the invasiveness of Sweet Autumn Clematis... I'm not downplaying your concern, but it takes some time after the flower is done blooming until the seeds ripen and are ready to blow away, so it would probably be easy enough to deadhead, and you could do so any time within probably a month of the bloom period. It does grow enthusiastically! I got a plant from Brushwood that grew maybe 6 feet tall it's first year, with a reasonable amount of branching and fullness.... the second year, it tried to take over the world, growing up one side and down the other of a big 6 foot trellis and then doing its best to also cover the second trellis beside it. The blooms are a treat, little scented white stars...

I liked Janet's idea of vines on either end and hanging baskets in the middle... I've got hanging baskets all across one end of the morning room, and they do an effective job of screening off my view of the neighbors!

Just beyond the top of the photo, there's a black metal closet rod that spans the width of the room, near the top of the windows... it's working out really well!