Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Propagation: Sweet peas, 0 by Seandor

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Seandor

In reply to: Sweet peas

Forum: Propagation

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Sweet peas
Seandor wrote:
Following advice from Ziggy, I ordered seeds from Fragrant Garden. I ordered three colours of "Winter Elegance" Sweetpeas (salmon pink, mid blue, and white) as well as two mixes of "heirloom" sweetpeas (supposedly more fragrant, but with smaller flowers). One mix is primarily blues, the other includes blues, creams, salmon pink, and maroon.

Today I started them. first I made newspaper pots - then yesterday I bought aluminum foil oven dishes at a dollar store (2 for $1). I went to Walmart for potting mix and seed starter, then to a local nursery for gravel (got chipped marble 'cause it was cheapest).

Last night I soaked the seeds starting with hot water.

This morning, I filled each little paper pot primarily with potting soil - but since it also contains fertilizer, I made the last quarter just seed starter. I didn't know if the fertilizer would burn new roots. Altogether, there are almost 100 little pots planted. If I get 20 strong plants, I will be happy.

Anyway, the aluminum foil pans are enclosed with two plastic bags (to ensure the marble chips do not puncture the aluminum foil - my husband doesn't like when my plant things drip lol ) Then I put in the chipped marble for drainage. Then the little pots sit on the little rocks. The picture shows what the set up looks like :-)

Wish me luck!