Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: Can I send seeds to New Zealand?, 0 by ferrymead

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright ferrymead

In reply to: Can I send seeds to New Zealand?

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Can I send seeds to New Zealand?
ferrymead wrote:
The site didn't open properly but you can get into the site I was looking at if you go to ( gosh, my memory is not too good) plants and click on that if should bring you to the bit about seeds. I know you just want to post some but with all the surveillance equipment the postal services have, if you posted them, they could show up.

I have a confession to make, hope no customs officers will read this, but when I was visiting Queensland about 19 years ago, I bought a packet of poached egg plant seeds. Had to fill in the custom declaration on the plnae and saw that if my memory serves me right in this instance, that seeds, plants, fruit and veegetables were prohibited from entry into N.Z. I did not declare them, got through customs but never could bring myself to plant them and eventually threw them out!! I did not want to be the person who brought some new strain of something unwanted into our country.

Best to contact Bio Security N.Z.by email at the address they give and feel confident that everything is above board.

They say confession is good for the soul and I am glad I never planted them and anyway I saw the same plant seed packet in our local supermarket but the memory of the nervousness I felt as I went through customs has put me off them Lol

Gardeners do love to share their plants and seeds to each other, my garden has many cutting from friends, whenever I look at them, the friend who gave it to me is always in my mind. The lovely yellow Coreopsis and the purple Penstemon were given me by a gardening friend.

If you do make enquiries would love to know how you got on.