Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Propagation: Refrigerating Seeds - Which ones? How long?, 0 by mike_freck

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright mike_freck

In reply to: Refrigerating Seeds - Which ones? How long?

Forum: Propagation

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Refrigerating Seeds - Which ones?  How long?
mike_freck wrote:
Hiya,
Seed storage is different for each seed. So really everyone can be correct here. Some seeds can last for hundreds of years Like lotus, others only a short time like (the name has gone from my mind its a tree with heart shaped leaves) anyway.....
There are two reasons for putting seeds in the fridge

Firstly to start the germination process, like Alliums actually germinate better in the fridge than elsewhere. The cold along with being wet makes them think its spring. This really works better for plants that would have this in nature. usually they come from places with short seasons so need to get off to a quick start in spring.

Secondly the fridge can help expand the life span of some seeds the same way we put food in the fridge. The seeds have to be kept dry (be very carefull with silica gel's as this can dry them out to much) Seeds do need a small amount of water inside them to survive. Remember they are still living just dormant! Just as animals hibernate seeds still need fresh air moisture and the right temperature.

I store all my seeds after air drying in plastic ziploc bags and keep them in the fridge, it is set to about +5oc be carefull not to freeze seeds as this will kill some seed.

When removing from the fridge ensure you leave them to get to room temp before opening the box or packets. As condensation will rot the seed if opened straight away.

If the fridge is no possible, place somewhere dark, cool and of an even temperature.

90% of most seeds don't need such delicate treatment so i'm sure someone will answer saying that they never use the fridge and everything allways grows.

Hope that helps

Mike