Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Ohio River Valley Gardening: Don't laugh! October Garden Club Meeting at the Cemetery!, 0 by goshsmom

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright goshsmom

In reply to: Don't laugh! October Garden Club Meeting at the Cemetery!

Forum: Ohio River Valley Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Don't laugh!  October Garden Club Meeting at the Cemetery!
goshsmom wrote:
Ric,
I DO remember picking strawberries-- prob in the late 50's-- tho' I can't remember much more than the berries. Yum!
I had plenty of relatives in Lexington. Loved that town. They were mostly from the Flack family (originally from Bath & Montgomery counties) & married into the Montague & Parsons families. I remember a couple of Lexington funerals I went to, the most memorable was when my father got hysterical (with suppressed laughter) at the very flowery eulogy of a man who, by all accounts, was a thoroughgoing stinker. Dad had to leave when the man got to praising the dead man as such a great Christian (Everybody knew he hadn't darkened the door of a church since he'd gotten married 40 years before). It was memorable all right!
KY is such a great place to do genealogy research. The only thing I dread finding, though, is the listing of "family cemetery" on a death certificate. That usually means climbing hills, dodging copperheads, clothes torn up by brambles, & often, no readable stone. The alternative is that the "family cemetery" sometimes equalled "the front yard."
Here's an overexposed picture of me a couple years ago upon finding a couple tombstones I'd been looking for for abt 10-15 years. I was a happy camper even thogh I had to chop down saplings with a borrowed hatchet to get to the stones. This is right on the border between Montgomery & Menifee counties.