Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Mid-Atlantic Gardening: FREE BRUGMANSIASCOME AND GET THEM!!!, 0 by Gitagal

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Gitagal

Subject: FREE BRUGMANSIASCOME AND GET THEM!!!

Forum: Mid-Atlantic Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of FREE BRUGMANSIASCOME AND GET THEM!!!
Gitagal wrote:
Hi, all my "neighbors" close and far!

This is meant for anyone who lives in the Baltimore area, but if you want to drive a short distance--you are also welcome. I live in the Perry Hall/White Marsh area. Exit 67B from I-95. Zip code--21236.

I have 5 Brugmansias that have been growing all Summer. They were all grown from cuttings last year, except the "ForeverMorr" and the "Species". Those I saved in their entirety in my basement--dormant.
The "ForeverMorr" (from Brugie) is very tall and the trunk is pretty thick--about 2" diameter.
The "Species" was, obviously, a cutting from above the "Y". It only had ONE bloom late last year so I saved the whole thing.
I have decided that I like my Brugs better as "trees". I want to look UP at the blooms, not have to bend over and look at them from below.
I have taken a couple of cuttings from each of them ( a basal shoot--so I can have a 'tree" next year again) and am offering the "Mama" plants to anyone that wants to come and take them. Most of them are all planted pot-in- a -pot (with the holes cut out) and then in a bigger, decorative pot. The pot with the holes cut out is what you would have to dig up to take home. I will help--of course! The ForeverMorr is in a big 20" Foam pot and that is planted in the ground. I am not giving the pot away. You get the plant.....

If you have a greenhouse, or a sunroom that would accomodate these plants, great! If you just want to come and get them so you can take a bunch of cuttings--also great. I have nowhere to keep them and I do not have the heart to just trash them. Here are the Brugmansias I have.

I have a "Dr. Seuss"--my favorite....
Blooms are yellow and extremely fragrant. In about 3 days, they will turn a gentle orange.

Cutting was taken above the "Y" last year and so it is not very tall now-about 5 feet-but is very broad and branched out and covered in buds which, I am sure, will be the best "show" of this lousy, hot season. It has many branches, almost horizontal, spreading in all directions. (picture #1)

I have a "Rose Souvelons":
Blooms are pink and have a "bubbly" appearance to them. Not too pendulous. About 45 dgr. angle.

This was also grown from above a "Y" cutting from last year, but a bigger one. This Brug has been the best performer as far as cuttings rooting. Almost every one of them did! I had so much to give away. It was also the earliest bloomer.
It looks a bit sparse of leaves at this time because it had a Spider Mite attack a month ago and most of the leaves fell off. I sprayed, and it is now growing all kinds of new leaves again. It also has a bunch of buds on it at this time. Back to normal! (Picture #2)

I have a "Rosamond":
Blooms are very large and pink. A very robust grower!

This one has grown pretty tall. It is about 6'-7' high now and has just recently "Y"'ed and now has a bunch of buds on it. It will be it's first bloom. It was slower, as it is in a bed where there is immense competition from Silver Maple roots just a few feet away from it. I am glad I will get to see it bloom at least once! I had 2 "Rosamonds" last year, and they were spectacular! (Picture #3)

I have a "ForeverMorr".
Blooms are pink and have slightly "twisting" tendrils. If I remember correctly, it is a cross between "Rosamond" and "Butterfly".

This is Shirley's "baby". She hybridized it.
It grew in such a tall, stately "tree" last year . Nice straight trunk and then--about 6+ feet up--it "Y"'ed with 3 branches in perfect symmetry. Because I am very respectful of Brugie (Shirley) and we are "friends", I saved this whole plant in my basement. It now has a substantial trunk and is also full of buds for the first time. If you have room, this is worth saving in it's entirity as a "tree". ( Picture #4).

And lasly--I have a "Species":
A georgeous, double white, blooms are very pendulous and long. It has a spicey fragrance. It is spectacular!

It has a purple Dahlia growing throughout it, so it is a bit "mixed up" with all different leaves everywhere.
Being honest here--it had some kind of a fungus this year. Most of the blooms would open and start out OK, and then they would get all these brown, fungusy blotches on them and the flower would just stop opening.
I believe the problem is throughout the plant and the stems. Maybe even in the roots. Not sure, as I have had a couple of blooms that were OK! I do not know what it is??? If you think you may want to cut it back (or something) or treat it with some serious fungicide, it may do better next year. Otherwise--I am going to trash it! :o( (Picture #5)

If you really, really want to see pictures of the blooms on all of these, I can dig them up for you and post them, but there should be plenty of them in the Plant Files.

Please--if you are interested, let me know. Here, or D-mail. However--I want to enjoy this last round of blooms opening on all of them, so don't come next week, or anything, OK? Oh, you can come and visit me and see these Brugs, but I want to enjoy then a few more weeks.

Gita

This is Dr. Seuss.