Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Shade Gardening: Help me design my brand new Mostly Shade back yard!, 0 by doss

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright doss

In reply to: Help me design my brand new Mostly Shade back yard!

Forum: Shade Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Help me design my brand new Mostly Shade back yard!
doss wrote:
The farfugium will take partial sun. I have astilbes growing in full shade but I know that they can be grown in partial shade too. As you know afternoon shade is so different from morning shade. The only reservation I would have about maypops is the fruit being a mess if it is growing across the pergola. The regular ones can get 30 feet tall so my guess is that they could cover the whole thing if you planted it on both sides.

Some of my very favorite plants for sun/part shade are sasanqua camellias. They can actually take full sun and bloom in the winter. Also, they are very easily kept to size and the foliage is beautiful and evergreen.
http://www.floridata.com/ref/c/came_sas.cfm

Daylilies will grow if they have 6 hours of sun a day and will take afternoon sun. I keep wishing that I could help you with fruit trees but I'm florida-challenged - except for citrus that is, especially when we are talking part shade.

However I will say that if you like hummers, butterfly bushes will grow in a lot of shade.

this photo is from my garden and has ferns. hosta and farfugium areomaculata.

Can you grow hardy fuchsias?