Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Greenhouse: How to calculate greenhouse costs, 0 by digital_dave

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright digital_dave

In reply to: How to calculate greenhouse costs

Forum: Greenhouse

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of How to calculate greenhouse costs
digital_dave wrote:
Great job!
I'm a guy who doesn't like surprises but if someone's getting into a greenhouse they need to know what they're up against. My greenhouse is a lean-to with the north wall insulated with similar reflective material. You really can get more light than the sun directly delivers! The picture shows some of the details when we recovered the plastic a few years ago.

I have a problem at the top of the GH with sealing it, and also in trying to keep the inside layer reasonably "tight." This is really important since as we know, heat rises. I also keep about 5-10 5 gallon plastic buckets to try and maintain some heat at night. (Many of the buckets are directly under the misting nozzles which seem to leak no matter what.) I'd love to figure a way to delivr the heated air under the plants. I guess maybe I should have bought a downdraft furnace instead. But that's a disadvantage of forced air heat. It's simple to install but "delivery" is more difficult than hot water or steam.

I agree with SB about fans. "Overkill" is far far better than underkill. And having two fans is far more reliable than one.