Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Greenhouse: Alternative heating methods for GH during power outages, 0 by digital_dave

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright digital_dave

In reply to: Alternative heating methods for GH during power outages

Forum: Greenhouse

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Alternative heating methods for GH during power outages
digital_dave wrote:
Good suggestions by tigerlily. My main fan is hard-wired in to the electrical system/thermostat and it would be difficult to hook it up to the generator. Electric-start is a nice option also on the generator.

One other thing of paramount importance. You absoultely need an alarm to let you know that the heating or ventilating system has failed. I have one of many models made by Oregon Scientific. The picture is the in-house unit showing the conditions in the greenhouse. My unit has a remote in the greenhouse and another out in the yard, and it (of course) also displays the indoor conditions. These are wireless remotes so no wiring to mess with. ...lots for sale on-line or eBay.

The main unit is also be set to alarm on:
High temperature (a fan failure is bad news) - typically I set this at 102 - (sometimes too low)
Low temperature (a heating system failure is generally worse news) - typically I set this at 47 (gives me time to react)
Low humidity (reminds me to turn on the misting system) - typically I set this at 20 (you would be shocked to see how low the humidity can get in the Summer in the GH)

You can be warm and comfy under that winter comforter while your tropicals are dying without even knowing it. Now that you know something is wrong you can take immediate action.
Dave