Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Specialty Gardening: I am starting over, 0 by gessieviolet

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright gessieviolet

Subject: I am starting over

Forum: Specialty Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of I am starting over
gessieviolet wrote:
Over the years I have read books from the complicated to the "americanized simplied" versions on bonsai culture. During these years I have played with plants and enjoyed several experiences with my trees very much, even though I was never really sure exactly how to handle them and ended up losing them, except for 1 ginkgo biloba that I have had in a pot since 1985. It was an interesting little tree less than 18" tall with a fair trunk until 4 years ago when the top died. Interestingly next spring a sprout came from the root and is now about 3 ft tall but with no trunk to speak of. How can I make the trunk thicken? Would shortening it this winter make any difference in trunk growth next year.

I have begun working with several more trees this year and would like to become an active grower again now that I have more time.

Here is one of my trees I lost after 1997. Just a common juniper that I grew "into" a piece of driftwood. One of my past favorites--at the time the picture was made it was needing a trim.