Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Propagation: Will the Gold Star Esperanza root from cuttings?, 0 by GD_Rankin

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright GD_Rankin

In reply to: Will the Gold Star Esperanza root from cuttings?

Forum: Propagation

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Will the Gold Star Esperanza root from cuttings?
GD_Rankin wrote:
Well I just took all these cuttings yesterday evening, so at this point everything is still looking pretty good. The Bougainvillea was more of an accidental break - rather than an intentional / selected cutting. As of now, it still looks nice and healthy, but it hasn't even been 24 hours yet.

It was still in bloom and the info I read said to take them 'after' the flowers are done. So . . . we shall see. The end of a branch broke off about 10" from the end, so I snipped the bottom few inches off and then cut all but a couple of leaves off. Then I scrapped the bark on the lower end that I dipped in root hormone and stuck it in a 3" pot and misted it real good then put the whole thing in a gallon size zip lock baggie. So to answer your question re: softest part . . . not exactly . . . it was a bit 'woody' down there, but I wanted to have a larger plant to work with - if in fact it does take root.

I'll keep ya posted on that one as well as the others :)

When my regular Bougainvilleas finish blooming, I intend to try some of the softer greener tips, and hope they'll work for me.