Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Specialty Gardening: Front yard garden - NO LAWN!!!!, 0 by MollyMc

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright MollyMc

In reply to: Front yard garden - NO LAWN!!!!

Forum: Specialty Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Front yard garden - NO LAWN!!!!
MollyMc wrote:
I started reading this a while back but forgot to watch it. I didn't change anything, just my place of residence and my zone.

My land was a partially wooded sand hill and still is. A lawn is a good thing to keep sand out of the house, but the water it takes to maintain it is horrendous.

When I had my house put in I decided I DID need grass for my dogs, so I am planting any kind of grass seed that will show some sign of growth here. That's in the back yard, inside the dog fence.

The rest of the yard, however, is a different story. All we had to do was have the immediate area bulldozed to allow the house to be brought in and then I went from there.

I have just natural pathways leading around the front yard, wide enough to accomadate the garden cart. My original plan was to put in ornamental grasses of different colors and heights. Then plant some salvias in between so I could have some color.

Although I have gotten off track a little at times looking for immediate gratification in annuals, I think the plan has gone pretty well. I am even trying to keep some Florida Native plants here, going so far as to moving them in from the field or road swale. To some gardeners though, the wide variety of plants can be overwhelming, making it hard to focus on any given theme. But this happens to be my gardening style.

My garden is very young, but I hope given time, it will grow up to be as wonderful as Gourds.

I still have to do some watering, but eventually the plants will have to adapt to the conditions here, or not.