Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Lilies: Gloriosa lilies in bloom, 0 by gardenerme

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright gardenerme

In reply to: Gloriosa lilies in bloom

Forum: Lilies

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Gloriosa lilies in bloom
gardenerme wrote:
Some tips from a long history of experimenting: Get the largest basket you can fit and afford. That way your plants have room to grow. I use a lot of perennials in mine so that they go all year long. Set up a simple and cheap drip system with an egg-time type of control at the hose pipe. I find that they dry out really fast and demand frequent watering and if I miss one, they really suffer. I just walk out and turn on the timer for 10-15 minutes every day, twice a day when it is over 80 degrees or the Santa Anas are blowing. Be sure to fertilize regularly as most of the nutrients water out easily. Use plants not normally found in hanging baskets, such as succulent ground covers or creeping thyme to grow over the side, grasses to grow tall, I put in a lot of fragrant plants because the baskets are at nose level, such as heliotrope, those floppy carnations like "red hots" that want to fall over anyway, the small dahlias that fall over the side, the newest gardenia called radicans that grows low (absolutely love this one!), well, I am running out of space. I have attached more pics of my baskets.