Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Greenhouse: A different kind of greenhouse, 0 by stressbaby

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright stressbaby

In reply to: A different kind of greenhouse

Forum: Greenhouse

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of A different kind of greenhouse
stressbaby wrote:
Hi BackyardZoo, here are some thoughts, in no particular order...

Regarding the trees, you can keep them dwarf by way of the container (think bonsai) or you can use dwarf trees in the ground.

You are talking about in-ground tropicals and subtropicals, right? This is what I primarily grow in my greenhouse. I built my GH in the standard fashion and then dug out a central bed and installed 24" raised beds around the perimeter. Mango, guava, bananas, lychee, BOP, heliconias, jasmine, etc in the beds. Here is a pic, in case it gives you any ideas.

Citrus will be challenging to grow in the ground. I'd keep them in contaiiners if I were you.

Minimum temp? I used 55*F last year. Some of your plants might have a chill requirement (citrus, lychee) so keep that in mind.

Cooling will be the biggest issue. Don't even try to do it with passive ventilation alone. Natural or passive ventilation will keep you to within 20-30*F of the outside temp. That's 120-130*F if it hits 100*F. With permanent residents in there you will almost certainly need at least shade cloth and active ventilation. You will probably need a mister or fogger or evap cooler as well. If you do some sort of variation where the structure wasn't entirely enclosed, but just screened in, then the warmer months won't be such as problem.

The pond will still be a great source of thermal mass. It will help to even out the temp variations.

Why not insulate the footer? Do it right the first time!

Great project, keep us posted, with pics!

SB