Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Hydrangeas: Engineering 101, 0 by BamaBelle

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright BamaBelle

Subject: Engineering 101

Forum: Hydrangeas

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Engineering 101
BamaBelle wrote:
It is hard for me to stand up for long periods of time while I fertilize my gardens with Miracle Grow or other water based fertilizers. Additionally, with this clay soil, the water/fertilizer tends to run off the soil so unless I cut down some planters and bury them around the plants to create a ring that prevents run off, most of the fertilizer goes into the surrounding area. I don't really want to put the rings down because then when we get heavy rains, it will cause the plants to rot. With this soil you really need a slow, steady delivery for water and wet fertilizers. Back when I had my other yard, I had the same problem with standing while I put down Miracle Grow...but with the sandy soil I didn't have the run off problem...back then I kept thinking that if I could just come up with a way to work the sprayer into the sprinkler I'd have it made...but back then there wasn't a way to do it. Well, now they make the Miracle Grow sprayer so you can screw the end off of it. I attached the sprinkler to the spray end, then put the whole thing up on a couple of buckets (which my five house cats were only too happy to contribute!) so it was elevated to allow for the sprayer to remain upright, set the whole thing on slow delivery and Voila! A 'turn-key' fertilizer, sprinkler system.