Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Hydrangeas: Update Grandaddy Oakleaf, 0 by BamaBelle

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright BamaBelle

Subject: Update Grandaddy Oakleaf

Forum: Hydrangeas

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Update Grandaddy Oakleaf
BamaBelle wrote:
As the blooms on my oakleaf hydranges are aging they started getting pink spots on them...the older they got, the more pink they got. Now thye are dark pink. The new blooms are coming in white just as the old ones did. Soon I'll be deadheading these and seeing if I can keep my babies blooming all summer. In the mean time, I've put landscaping timbers on some of the lower hanging branches in an effort to encourage them to root. My cousin wants some of the babies, and rather than dig up the new growth I figured I'd root the branches that are so heavy they are already lying on the ground. I have three of these plants. Tow of them are this large...about four or five feet tall and about five or six feet in spread. The third one is smaller. That is where I dug up some rootings at the beginning of the season so I think it slowed it down...and that is why I am trying to root the low hanging branches now instead of diggng up new growth.