Communities > Forums

Image Copyright herbmoxie

In reply to: The far west of the Northeast

Forum: Northeast Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of The far west of the Northeast
herbmoxie wrote:
Kathleen (Kathy)

I have your Wheatstraw Celosia seeds getting cold on my porch so they should pop right up when you get them planted. I read through your "What farmers want you to know" discussion and enjoyed and affirm it. My oncologist gets to make the decision about how much running about I do when I am "home" in early April and she gets testy when I do too much so I am likely to defer a visit to your place until I am back for two weeks in June/July. I will bring the seeds with me in April, though. I will see Vincent and Flora Ann - they may even pick me up at the airport - I don't know if you see them regularly or not....can I get the seeds to you via them? HM (Deb).

Note to all....the above is a bit of a personal note posted publicly because I have quite a few Wheatstraw Celosia seeds available. I found Dave's Garden when I was searching for the identity of what has become one of my favorite garden plants...more foliage than flower...majestic and funky at the same time. I have had people slow down in front of our house when they are in full bloom just to look at the stand of them planted by the driveway. If you would like a small packet of seeds.....send me a D-mail. I have checked and checked and do not find any evidence that this is invasive - but they do readily self-sow.

Mine appear to be the cultivar Cramer's Amazon - the only photo I have is one about 3 weeks prior to bloom - that I took when I was trying to find out what it was. (I hope this works....this is my first try at including a photo) The flower is a hot pink flame - the plant is an amaranth and I am still researching the nutritional value of amaranths. HM