Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Clematis: I need your input, please!, 0 by DreamOfSpring

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright DreamOfSpring

In reply to: I need your input, please!

Forum: Clematis

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of I need your input, please!
DreamOfSpring wrote:
I only have 1/2 acre, and "shade" is not a problem because the builder bull-dozed all of the trees in the subdivision (including all of the aged oaks and magnolias that clearly would be here since we are just off the road mentioned above. : (
My yard is 99% sun, great for flowers, rough on the gardener. Sometimes I dream of moving to the country and getting a larger place but then I remember that I can't even keep up with the garden I have. It is wet here. Depending on the source, we are either AT sea level or a foot or so below. We have the "white/grey" clay. The 1st 2 years I had several tons of compost brought in to amend the soil; that also helped with the drainage. I also have some kind of drainage pipes underground, French drain or something like that.
Today while I was out in the garden I snapped a quick photo just to show you one of the clematis plants sitting in the sun. (not an attractive pic as things are just getting started) this is duchess growing in a rose bush. . In the picture you can see the bright sunlight from the shadows thrown by the plant itself on the fence.

Also, today I was out running errands around town in my car and, incredibly, I got a light sun burn on my left (window side) leg - while wearing long pants! This is especially incredible since I tan easily and virtually never burn. So, yes, it IS hot here - already.