Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Propagation: Starting Osmanthus fragrans... from seed., 0 by raydio

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright raydio

In reply to: Starting Osmanthus fragrans... from seed.

Forum: Propagation

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Starting Osmanthus fragrans... from seed.
raydio wrote:
Zeppy~

Glad you like the sound of "silverberry". The scent *is* heavenly

But, please, be forewarned:

the part about the garden pruning already being (over) eight feet tall is so true. They grow by leaps and bounds!!!!!!! Give it *PLENTY* of room or you'll be fighting to control forever more. BIG BIG BIG.

They make a late growth of long arching shoots late in the season, so if you've done spring pruning, you might have more to do later......

They're planted along Interstate 85 around cloverleaf interchanges and make HUGE mounding mountains of green which show one use for this thick-grower: You can make an impenetrable hedge out of them. When mature, you couldn't drive a transfer truck through them! Will definitely keep out unwanted visitors!

Here's a shot of the one in our side yard. It's been there at least 20 years. I cut it back massively last year. This is the smallest it has ever been since it was a young'in. I'll also post one of the "wildling".

So, if you want to enjoy the wonderful fragrance of a tough-as-nails plant, you'll love this one. Start training and pruning early, cause if it gets out-of-hand, it's a chore to bring it to heel.

I can send you some seeds when they ripen, if you'd like some. D-mail me.

Robert.