Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Trees, Shrubs and Conifers: Tree rocking?, 0 by 4paws

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright 4paws

In reply to: Tree rocking?

Forum: Trees, Shrubs and Conifers

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Tree rocking?
4paws wrote:
We have large, old black locust trees all around our house. During an unusually severe storm in January, many large limbs came down, as well as trees that were stressed or dead, but nothing over the house or other structures. In fact, a fair sized tree came down parallel and two feet behind our 40' wood/tool shed-nothing at all damaged! The locust trees closest to the house were limbed last summer. There is no heaving of the ground when these trees blow, but they are tall and sway a lot. Anyone with any experience with black locust trees? Except for the fact that they are tenacious once established, and every seed that falls becomes a seedling with thorns, I think they are magnificent trees with wonderful spring fragrance and "song" (because of the bees buzzing throughout the canopy), fabulous shade, interesting features, produce 100 year fence posts, and give long burning firewood. Thus, I want to protect those that are here, including the big ones near the house (opposing opinions in our household).

There is mixed opinion around here about the black locust being dangerous around houses because they have been known to just break. However, I think/guess it's because the trees were never pruned properly, so when the 90 degree branches get as big and heavy as trees themselves, they have to break or be supported. Comments?

This is my first post here. Interesting and informative website. I'm working on trees now, while brush can still be burned and dead limbs are easily visible.

Here is a photo off our deck of a locust limb that was cabled to another locust (on the left) to keep it from breaking. Perfect swing tree. It's definately living and always intiates comments from visitors.