Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Propagation: Question about alstromeria seeds, 0 by Ursula

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Ursula

In reply to: Question about alstromeria seeds

Forum: Propagation

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Question about alstromeria seeds
Ursula wrote:
Katy, it's the first time I hear the name of these locations. I honestly don't know where they are, but I just emailed a friend (he's geologist) that might know.

I hope to be able to make a new photo-safari to the mountains this week and will try to obtain information from the locals. There are about 4 ot 5 different Alstroemeria species that grow (bloom this time of the year) where our ski centres are (the ones close to Santiago). I would think they are hardy enough for a zone 8a.

Todd is growing A. pallida. Believe it or not, they bloomed only months after he sowed them! The A. species that grow in the Central Valley of Chile (where I live) and in the coastal areas, can take up to 3 years to bloom if grown from seeds. We have only slight frost during winter.

I have a wonderful book with information/pictures of all Chilean native Alstroemerias (40 of them endemic to Chile), but no reference as to their hardiness in areas that are not their natural habitat.

I hope I can come back with some information for you.

Hugs,

Ursula

The one pictured is A. pelegrina