Northeast Gardening: Favorite local garden area, 0 by Ivy1

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Ivy1

Subject: Favorite local garden area

Forum: Northeast Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Favorite local garden area
Ivy1 wrote:
I wanted to share a couple of my favorite local garden sites. These are the places I continually go to to replenish my soul. I also get a lot of ideas from these local gardens.

Mystic Seaport- They have 8 or so garden areas around the Seaport. There is a very traditional kitchen garden; a house garden including a grape arbor and fence plantings; and my favorite - a long border backing up the library building. I think they must have a greenhouse somewhere, because the variety of plants is unusual and ever-changing in this border and they must have grown them from seed. The whole place is landscaped beautifully as well, so when you are walkiing a path, or just resting, there is somrthing nice to look at. Unfortunately, I don't have any decent pictures, but I include a link with a few of the general area.

http://www.ukexpert.co.uk/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=579

Mystic River Park- My daughter's playground has the most beautiful plantings! The garden at the edge of the park is backed by old yew trees and cedars, an old Philadelphus, plus the most homongous blueberry bush I have ever seen- it is about 6 feet wide by maybe 10 feet tall. The new plantings consist of Butterfly Bushes, Lilacs and Hinoki Cypress, fronted with Caryopteris, Rosa "The Fairy", and then blue star Junipers. There are spring bulbs (like crocus and daffs) mixed in, with loads of daisies and a couple of Glossy Abelia for more structure. The other side of the park has more Glossy Abelias, dwarf Cranberry Bush Viburnums, and purple Barberries. I question the use of these in a kids park, but no one seems to ever get hurt on them. They have planted a Beech tree in the lawn which is making good progress, but is still small. It is a great place to bring kids!

Of course we have the river here, and a walk by the water is always a bonus.

Anyone else have some favorite spots they'd like to share?