Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Trees, Shrubs and Conifers: my above ground over-wintering structure, 0 by shortleaf

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright shortleaf

Subject: my above ground over-wintering structure

Forum: Trees, Shrubs and Conifers

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of my above ground over-wintering structure
shortleaf wrote:
Whats a renter to do?

I have several hundred (I'd say between 3 and 4 hundred tree seedlings in pots, a few shrub seedlings too).
I made this contraption of a monstrousity of a thing in late Summer and a little into Fall. I'm just trying to minimize more the
bad results I had from last Winter when not trying any protection, just bare pots, and I paid dearly. Its a 12 foot long 2 x 12 in the front and several 2 x 8s down the sides (I think 3 on each side). I don't even know if it will help any, but I wanted to try it since I had the lumber and definitely the plants. Oh, and I threw some soil in there around some of the more marginal seedlings. And also a while back some scheister pulled the "unseen, dump some wood chips scam" on my Grandma's yard, so I spread a bunch of that over the top of everything with one full load in that modified red cart you see in the photos. Which is actually a lot, I made 2 foot walls all around that cart, it holds a lot with the walls in it.

I do realize that pots and plants need to be in the ground, but I am a renter, I can't alter anything and dig any holes, not even an inch. My Grandmother is my land-lady and she hasn't exactly been cooperative with me on my stuff outside.

Anyway, I took a few photos of this thing to share with anybody who wants to have a look. They are in my photobucket album, I'll post a link. -

http://photobucket.com/albums/v243/w4i0a/my above ground ove...

Will