Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Carnivorous Plants: Building a bog. Have any advice?, 0 by Badseed

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Badseed

In reply to: Building a bog. Have any advice?

Forum: Carnivorous Plants

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Building a bog.  Have any advice?
Badseed wrote:
Whoops! You sneaked on in on me. LOL

The Docs think my six girls will easily reach heights of 5'8" - 5'11" and maybe more! We all already enjoy volleyball and badminton and keep a net up for both. I don't intend to garden that area as it is 99% clay and holds a lot of water during and after rains (picture below) and did I mention crawdads come up out of the ground? LOL No plans are set in stone so to speak, but I mentioned putting a court there and the kids thought it would be a neat idea. We moved "out to the country" so being able to keep them busy, active and occupied will be important. I plan to put drainage here but can't really just build it up because that could force the rain water into the garage which in my opinion should have been built up higher!

If I rent an escavator and dig the hole myself, I can have a truckload of gravel delivered then a truckload of cement. Neither of those is horribly expensive. One good thing about having this much land and a gravel drive, is ease of access! That is something I never had at my old house. Zoning laws out here are pretty lax.

I had occasion to meet the son of the original owner, that built the house. He told me this flooded out area was their veggie garden. I can see no sign that the soil was ever improved and I wonder if the good soil washed away?