Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Carnivorous Plants: Is this rationale off base?, 0 by bogman

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright bogman

In reply to: Is this rationale off base?

Forum: Carnivorous Plants

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Is this rationale off base?
bogman wrote:
Why do you feel psitaccina is less hardy? Mine grows as well as the purpureas out in the bog. Because it is prostrate the pitchers aren't even damaged under the snow. They do get a bit overtaken by the cranberries.

You know me, I don't remove anything that isn't dead and remeber that (as mentioned previosly) some species/hybrids such as leucophylla, rubra, etc put up their best pitchers in fall. For this reason I don't have any leucos. My r. alabamensis seems to do fine but the pitchers usually freeze to snow line in winter, and the spring pitchers aren't nearly as nice looking.

I'm renovating the bog I goofed on when building (I added oyster shell to neutralize ph for a "fen" type garden). This has turned into a giant grassy weed patch, so the native orchids that were there have been relocated and in spring I'm going to model this garden after the original bog (minus the cranberries...way too aggresive)

Here's the bog as of last week. Spiranthes in full flower, a couple of the spikes are over a foot tall, Orange leaves in back are (my crazy) poison sumac, and you can see all the pitchers that have fallen over from the top heavyness of the bugs they've caught (or been blown over by one of the hurricanes)