Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Dahlias: I've dug my first clump of the season.....I've got EYES!!!!, 0 by NoH2O

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright NoH2O

Subject: I've dug my first clump of the season.....I've got EYES!!!!

Forum: Dahlias

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of I've dug my first clump of the season.....I've got EYES!!!!
NoH2O wrote:
We haven't had a frost yet but last week a storm snapped my 'Fire Magic' off at ground level. I dug it up tonight and it had eyes - lots of them! I am so happy. I have saved my tubers for years but I never divided until spring since I couldn't find the eyes in the fall. Now I understand why - I was told the clumps had to stay in the ground at least 2 weeks after a killing frost so they would cure. By the time I dug them, the eyes were no longer visible. I divided 'Fire Magic' tonight and it was only slightly confusing. LOL

I have a few questions:

1. I am going to try the saran wrap method of storage. Does that work well on the long, thin-necked tubers?

2. How long do the divided tubers need to sit out before wrapping in saran wrap?

3. Is there going to be a dahlia exchange this fall or are we waiting until spring? I need to get these tubers wrapped right away and I don't know whether I should wrap them individually for fall trades or as a group to re-wrap individually in the spring for trading.

Thanks for all your help.

Hillcrest Kismet