Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Annuals: Sunflowers, 0 by westocast73

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright westocast73

In reply to: Sunflowers

Forum: Annuals

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Sunflowers
westocast73 wrote:
It's raining and I dont have any Distance pictures of it. This is from my cutting section though. There is Ruby Eclipse, Magic Roundabout, Autumn Beauty and Indian Blanket in this picture. Moulin Rouge and Vanilla ice are in the background but you cant really make them out as the other sunflowers block them. These were spaced closer together as I read that gives longer stems for cutting ( it does). This section has already given me about 25 cut flowers. All in All I have had about 150 flowers that I have cut and given to people. I also have a yellow patio section which has a planting of Big Smile (1 foot ) Music Box (2 foot) Jade (3 foot) Valentine (5 to 6 feet) Tarahumara ( 6 to 8 feet) And Lastly Moonwalker (7 to 10 feet) Which makes a beautiful patio for my parents. Dont cut any flowers from it though. If you want to see pics of most of the flowers you can check my user profile and check my images as since I joined its about all I have uploaded =P.

As for your Kong. Glad I could help. I could be wrong as there are a few other types of multi headed talls but to me they look like Kong or some cross of it. Kong isnt a hybrid so the seeds will come true to whomever you give them to so long as they dont cross with another sunflower in yours or a neighbours yard. Sunflowers can cross quite easily so chances are a few of the seeds will come out very different . I also planted Giganteus and Early Russian. Giganteus is hit or miss. Some plants are huge and strong others not. Early Russian is a disaster. Small heads on barely 6 foot tall plants. So as far as Giants go I think the Kongs are the nicest. Strong and grow very well.

I would love to also give you seeds Woofens but otherside of the border. Either of you have any favourite sunflower I would love to hear about it as I plan to grow more again next year and wouldnt mind any thoughts on good ones to try. I will run down the list of what I grew this year and my feelings briefly on each.

Autumn Beauty - Pretty and a decent grower. Bigger than expected flowerheads on it and didnt do as well as a cut flower.

Big Smile - Cute single headed yellow dwarf. Is very nice grown in a small 4 or 6 inch pot and given as a gift just as the bud opens.

Chianti - Weak growth. Was pretty but overall a Dissappointment.

Earthwalker - Nice rich earth tones. Nice Growth. Short stems and tons of pollen not good for cutting.

Florenza - Beautiful midsized sunflower. Short stems made it a bad cut flower but I absolutely loved its colour so its one of my top 5 for sure.

Giant Sungold - Not sure yet as its been a late bloomer.

Giganteus - Hit or miss. Strong stems.

Indian Blanket - Not sure as it just started blooming. Colour is nice though. Also ones i am growing in 9 hours of sun have become massive. 11 feet tall with 4 inch thick stems. amazing considering the ones in full sun are 5 to 6 feet with 2 inch thick stems.

Italian White - Pretty white flower on a bushy smaller sunflower. Real cute Top 5

Kong - Strong growth.

Magic Roundabout - Very nice flowers on thin long stems. Cuts very well and is pollenless hybrid. Top 5

Mammoth - Not sure

Moonwalker - Was an after thought to buy it but it has become a top 5. The flowers are very pretty and fade to such a soft yellow. It cuts well. It grows strong and branches well.

Moulin Rouge - Strong stems. Cuts very well and lasts the longest. Very pretty Top 5

Music Box - Cute bushy sunflowers. Dwarf and comes in many shades of yellow and orange all with a halo effect.

Ruby Eclipse - Beautiful tall sturdy plants. Cuts Well and looks great. Top 5

Tarahumara - Beautiful and my favourite of the single headed.

Teddy Bear - Slugs loved it and I didnt like the blooms so much.

Valentine - Reacted the same as Indian Blanket. In 9 hours of sun the plants are 11 to 12 feet tall with thick massive stems one measuring 5 inches in diameter. Honestly if the flowers werent the same I wouldnt believe they are the same as the 6 to 7 foot plants growing in full sun.

Velvet Queen - Pretty but not my fav. Growth wasnt very strong

Vanilla Ice - Pretty but also growth wasnt very strong.

P.S. Yea more than 5 top 5 lol