Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Garden Pests and Diseases: Friend or Foe #4, 0 by galega

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright galega

In reply to: Friend or Foe #4

Forum: Garden Pests and Diseases

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Friend or Foe #4
galega wrote:
Hi everyone,
I found this guy on my hardy fuschia this morning, eating away. He was quite colorful so I put him in a jar with more leaves and a misting of water to see what he is. After spending an hour searching a variety of places on the internet, I have come up with nothing! Learned a lot about other caterpillars, though -LOL. Sorry for the blurry photo.

He is about 2 inches long, bright green, and has a single orange horn. He has parallel dashes of color running longitudinally. The bottom dashes are smaller - black with a tiny orange dot in the middle, and the upper dashes/dots are black with a yellow stripe inside. There are two solid black stripes running the length of the back on the inside of the upper row of dash lines. Three pair of front legs, four pair of mid legs, and then the "grabby thing" at the end, below where the pointed orange horn sticks up. Excuse my lack of proper scientific vocabulary.

Thanks for any help! I posted this over on the butterflies and hummers board too, but maybe someone here will recognize it as a pest? I was hoping for a butterfly. -G