Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Trees, Shrubs and Conifers: The National Arbor Day Foundation -Buying trees from them, 0 by 8ftbed

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright 8ftbed

In reply to: The National Arbor Day Foundation -Buying trees from them

Forum: Trees, Shrubs and Conifers

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of The National Arbor Day Foundation -Buying trees from them
8ftbed wrote:
I was a NAF member for years. I too managed to kill most of the first 2 years of freebies. What I started doing was potting them up and didn't lose anymore.
I ordered my first Dawn Redwood from them. Now my favorite tree and I've started 5 from cuttings of the original and ordered 3 others.
I also ordered a bunch of boxwoods from them. Of course they were very small sticks but have grown and I've moved or given away many. This spring I just transplanted 21 of them as the beds change.

I don't know - for the membership price they're good if you have patience to grow out seedlings. OR a small lot that you can't plant all the trees you want so grow them out for a couple of years in pots and trade or give them away. Still - the 10 freebies each year is a good deal and recently they've even offered choices on flowering trees or conifers. Just have some nice nursery pots ready and potting soil and I think you'll be happy. Definitely gives you some trading power at plant swaps. I got my first lilac in the freebies and some double hibiscus that were pleasant surprises.

I've ordered from Musser several times as well. They've got some good bulk deals.

Forest Farms is my new favorite for trees though. Wide variety and everything has been excellent quality. They have a good selection of dwarf and variegated conifers and this spring I found the 'Eskimo Sunset' sycamore maple. I was surprised at the tree I got in the mail.