Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Lilies: Lilies and Daylilies!, 0 by SteveIndy

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright SteveIndy

In reply to: Lilies and Daylilies!

Forum: Lilies

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Lilies and Daylilies!
SteveIndy wrote:
Thanks all for the nice words :-) But I'll be stuck with marigolds while the rest of you have your lily season in full swing! Not that marigolds aren't pretty .....

It is good you can remember what you planted, Susan....I can remember what but then can't match the plants that sprout to what they are until they bloom. The daylilies at least came with labels wired to them!

Pirl, the red one is either Red Volunteer or Chicago Ruby. Both are supposed to get about 30" tall, but mine are a lot taller than that. Another ones that has a huge flower and is also tall is Mary's Gold - I would say mine are abut 40-45" tall on that also. On the other hand, I have some "Notorious" red daylilies that are supposed to be over 30" but might be 2' at most. Oh well :-) I deadhead as I go but cannot imagine 1000 deadheads per day!

Shirley, my callas are almost all in full sun and most have already sent up flower stalks.They've returned and flowered 3 years running now, and I really don't do ANYthing special to them. I planted some calla seeds and they all appear to have sprouted! I do fertilize with a high-phosphorous fertilizer pretty regularly, though.

mgh, I have a holly that is out of place in my yard but my friend talked me out of pulling it. It just kind of sat there and did nothing the first two years it was in my bed, and this year has just taken off - though like you I am not crazy about hollies in general. Oh well I can't bring myself to kill it....

Another calla flower popped out in my plant in front...