Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Clematis: Clematis montana in bloom, 0 by SabraKhan

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright SabraKhan

In reply to: Clematis montana in bloom

Forum: Clematis

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Clematis montana in bloom
SabraKhan wrote:
Ivy1, If your clematis was planted deep enough it will come back from the roots even if the top growth is eaten away. I've had Clematis 'Ramona' and Clematis 'The President' planted on the side of my front door. At the sugestion of a veteran horticulturist, I planted them deeper than the planting guide recommends. Every Spring they are nibbled down to the ground and I get nothing all year, but the next Spring they shoot up even more vigorous to get 2 or 3 feet tall before becoming a meal for Prancer and Dancer. This has been going on for 3 years now. They are now 4 feet tall and I have sprinkled "Shake Away" around them, dusted them with cayenne pepper, placed garlic clips amoung them and even sprayed wolves' urine near them in an all-out war against the deer so that maybe this year I will actually get to see at least one of them actually bloom!
P.S. Of all the tactics I've used, the wolf urine seems to be doing the trick. I had a little nibbling starting on my Daylilies and Iris at the beginning of the season, but since I starting using the urine all nibbling has stopped and I have'nt seen anymore damage since. Luv those Wolves!