Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Trees, Shrubs and Conifers: GIANT Beeches dropping leaves this spring...., 0 by plymouthgarden

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright plymouthgarden

Subject: GIANT Beeches dropping leaves this spring....

Forum: Trees, Shrubs and Conifers

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of GIANT Beeches dropping leaves this spring....
plymouthgarden wrote:
Hi all - I'm new here, and have been spending lots of time reading & learning. What a great place!

My question is about my european beeches ... we have four 80-100' beeches that our house was built around (in 1965) - the largest has a trunk circumfrence of about 13'....so YES, they are GIANT! Beautiful trees. We've lived here 7+ years and it seems that every spring all four have a tremendous amount of small twig/leaf drop...infact, the ground is purple underneath them. The canopy is about 30' up, and i can see that the new leaves are opening with small holes in them (this happened last year too). No sign of the dreaded wintermoth that has been eating the trees in this area of Mass. Are my beeches in decline?

Anyone know if this is a regular thing? These trees are mature, we've been told they are quite old too. The bark looks great, no sign of Beech Bark Disease, thankfully.

Any advice would be much appreciated.....