Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Trees, Shrubs and Conifers: To move or not to move?, 0 by hczone6

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright hczone6

Subject: To move or not to move?

Forum: Trees, Shrubs and Conifers

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of To move or not to move?
hczone6 wrote:
Tough question. I planted this beauty before I knew better...several years ago. Now of course it's too close to the sidewalk. I have room to move it to the right in the photo. But I'm very reluctant to fool with such a pretty plant. Problem is, to be able to dig around it and not have a 500 pound rootball, I'd need to prune it back pretty good. Also once it's dug out, I'd need to lift it up and over into the new hole. So being able to get myself into position well enough to drag it over there, I'd need space...so that means possibly more pruning. I was thinking of using the loader on the tractor to lift it up and over...just a little, not way in the air. My concern way maybe the weight of the rootball would be too much for the trunk where I place the strap to lift the tree with the loader. You think it will be a problem if I do it very slow and easy? Maybe it'll be ok. I just want it to live and thrive if I have to move it. I know they are pretty hardy trees. So maybe it'll be ok.

Opinions? Loader? No Loader? Prune away and not worry about it? Leave it where it is?