Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Specialty Gardening: Big Pot Planting Advice Wanted, 0 by GoldenDomer

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright GoldenDomer

In reply to: Big Pot Planting Advice Wanted

Forum: Specialty Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Big Pot Planting Advice Wanted
GoldenDomer wrote:
I decided to wait on this final post of mine until I was able to provide a revealing report on the results of my slightly different potting approach. Apparently, my "high nutrient boost" idea didn't hurt. These pictures are from April 11 less than two weeks after potting. As you can see, beautiful white flowers are already covering the young 'Lamarcki' Serviceberry trees.

I want to thank everyone individually who helped me with ideas and encouragement but to keep this post under 1,000 words, I have just singled out the three posts that made the greatest impact on me. When I started my first thread on December 14, I had only two questions. (1) Was the Serviceberry the bird "magnet" I heard it was? (2) Would it make gardening sense to try to pot them in Zone 5b?

The reply on the "magnet" was this one:
My native Amelanchier is out at the back of my garden where the fruit trees are. I planted it there hoping the birds would leave the cherries alone, but they just think it is an additional treat. I rarely ever get to eat one of the June berries as the birds eat them before they are really ripe. I also have another cultivated variety of amelanchier, Forest Prince, planted nearer the house by my shade lath house, and birds also love that one." DonnaS (rutholive - Zone 5a).

Regarding feasibility, this is the post that eventually led me to be to believe that my plan could work:
HGTV's "Gardening By the Yard" had a show on container trees - and yes, Serviceberry was one they listed that could be grown in a container. This link (hopefully) will take you to the site for that particular show: http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/gl_trees_shrubs_deciduous/article/0... If not, go to HGTV.com & do a search on container trees. I have a purple leaf plum growing in a 20" pot. Nancy (gabagoo - Zone 5b).

As a totally unexpected and pleasant bonus, I also received some rich historical details which I appreciated:
Fun facts to know and tell - the tree is called 'Serviceberry' because up in the mountains, it blooms about the same time as the soil thaws- when they could dig graves and hold funeral services for those who died during the winter. Another species of Amalanchier is called 'Shadbush' because it blooms when the shad come up the rivers to spawn. Susan K (sfk - Zone 7a).

If you're curious about how the trees are doing or possibly if they survived the winter just post your question and I'll be more than happy to reply with up to date photos and news. One thing I won't be doing is bumping my own thread with reports unless asked for by a request that's already bumped the thread.

Recently I promised to include a "bud" in my final container report. Thankfully, I can now go one step further. The last picture is of a solitary flower which conveys what it means to me and also fulfills that promise I made. This picture is for you, Rosemary.

Again, thanks to everyone and happy container gardening to all.

Dave