Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Vines and Climbers: Gonna try a new plan for my vines, 0 by TrixieM

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright TrixieM

Subject: Gonna try a new plan for my vines

Forum: Vines and Climbers

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Gonna try a new plan for my vines
TrixieM wrote:
I read somewhere about an arboretum that, like the old woman who lived in a shoe,
it had so many vines it didn't know what to do. Sooo, it solved the problem by putting posts into the ground and training each vine up the post and letting it cascade down.

I have personal experience with doing this with wisteria. It makes a tree form and is really quite beautiful. It does require judicious clipping to keep in shape.

Anyway, this arboretum had 300 like this! I'm going to start with tall metal fence posts surrounded by small hogwire cages. I figure that this would work whether the plant is in a pot or in the ground. If it needs greenhousing in the winter, leave it in the pot and just clip it back.

Does anybody have experience with anything similar to this? I have about a half mile of fence in the front of the house out by the road. However, there is no water source. For the number of vines we're talking about here, a 5-gallon bucket is not an option.

I had some of them planted on small pine trees last year, but the weight of the vines and the storms blew the trees down.

Then there is the question of vines that get really humongous and heavy. I'm going to try it and see what happens.

I am sure open for suggestions!

Kay

That is a terrible picture, but anyway, it's the front fence with podranea roscoeana.

This message was edited Mar 12, 2005 8:03 PM