Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Annuals: 4 o'clock height?, 0 by WyGardener

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright WyGardener

In reply to: 4 o'clock height?

Forum: Annuals

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of 4 o'clock height?
WyGardener wrote:
I can confirm this. I have two year old tubers after this season that I lifted again in November. It usually takes 7 to 9 weeks here (depending on the weather) to get flowers from plants sown by seed. Instead, when I planted them from their tubers, I got flowers in 4 weeks. Its excellent, especially when you live as far north as zone 5, where the growing season is shorter. They also sprout quicker and are much more vigorous and healthy. They are hardy in the ground to zone 7b. The seed, when left ouside, is hardy to 5a (or so they say). They will not come back from the root if the ground freezes. My four o'clocks have been commented on everyone who visits or yard, though you have to visit to see them because we live on a five acre yard (my gardens are not easily visible from the road). I have always combined them with tall growing cannas in the center of a circle (the 7ft tall ones), the four o'clocks on the outer rim. A very nice combination of green and red leaves, it is especially beautiful when they both flower.