Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Irises: Potting iris?, 0 by Margiempv

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Margiempv

In reply to: Potting iris?

Forum: Irises

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Potting iris?
Margiempv wrote:
Hi Bonnie, I thought I'd share my thoughts with you on this subject.

I grow a few irises in pots and in many cases they do better than those that are not. Of course they are in nice, large pots (5 gallon size or larger).

NOTE: Over the years I've found (irises in pots) ~ that the stalks will grow as tall as they should and bloom just as readily. :-) Also they are NOT shorter or have less blooms by any means............... and I don't go out of my way to baby them (because I just don't have the time). But if NOT cared for ~ I could see where they would not grow as well, or get as tall (the same is true though if they are in the ground and not given proper growing conditions as water and fertilization, etc)

As Laurie mentioned (and I agree), as long as they have enough room to increase, proper soil, water, fertilization, and sunlight, irises do just fine in pots. And I do live in a warmer climate, so it works like a dream for me! The fine line would probably exist somewhere between my climate and Laurie's. *Also, if the pot and soil used is light enough ~ one can move the pot around for winter protection if necessary.

Also, I find that potted irises need MORE WATER if they are in clay pots, and less if they are in certain types of plastic pots. The soil in pots that are porous ~ tend to dry out much quicker because the water is absorbed through the porous material.

As for cutting the iris leaves ~ I too have heard and read that it is best not to cut the leaves of iris, only remove the dead/dried up ones. The reason being is that some of it's food supply/energy are stored in the leaves that are green.

And as for cuttng the iris roots back ~ I've heard, and seen growers doing it both ways. In both cases it didn't seem to make any difference. I've tried it both ways as well, and it doesn't seem to make any difference for me either. So, now I just leave enough roots to help anchor the plant in the ground, so it won't tip over easily.

I hope this didn't muddy anything up for you. :-)

~Margie