Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Irises: novice gardener giving in to the BEAUTY of bearded irises, 0 by doss

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright doss

In reply to: novice gardener giving in to the BEAUTY of bearded irises

Forum: Irises

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of novice gardener giving in to the BEAUTY of bearded irises
doss wrote:
Take your time Moonglow. The plants always grow at their own pace anyway. :-).

And KE6 - I always put foliar feed on my plants once a month in the growing season. Don't do high nitrogen on blooming plants and use the acid type for camellias etc. But I find that this is the best for most of my garden. I do feed the bulbs Blooming Bulb in the spring and after bloom. I have not paid particular attention to the Iris - but this year they're getting 6-10-10 this week - along with the daffodils and tulips. (I've learned this from several wonderful Iris folk on DG).

Anyway, the foliar feed cleans all the leaves, never burns the plants, and does a really good job. They say to do it every two weeks - but that's just too often for me. Also I try to avoid feeding over-energetic plants like the Morning Glories. The problem there is keeping them in line!

Sometimes I have to supplement - like adding acid based food to citrus in January - and the Brugmansias get a little yellow then too. So I touch them up at the same time.

I give the Camellias and Azaleas an extra feeding of acid based food just after blooming. (This means after the early winter if it's Sasanquas and in the spring if its the larger (why can't I think of the word) leafed Camellias.The gardenias and ferns are fine with the foliar spray. I think that does it. Bulb food, citrus food, foliar spray ( both acid and not ), and acid camellia and azalea food. Then Sluggo and an environmentally correct foliar spray for mildew. You might want some Ironite too so that you can correct yellowing. If there's not too much yellowing though, I like to use a total fertilizer that has trace nutrients - and you already have that.

And one other thing. Unless you grow seeds, I use pre-emergent in places where I have weed problems - particularly where I grow grasses. Saves a lot of work.

I do stake once a week but I grow things like Dahlias, Clematis and Glads that need staking. And I prune vines once a month during the growing season.

And I use generic Sluggo twice a week during the snail season. It's cheaper at home depot if you don't get the named brand. I have little dogs so I can't use anything stronger. You might not need it so often.

Some people are feeding their blooming plants with alfalfa - I'm going to try that this year with my roses. I'm always up for a new experiment. If it goes well, I'll use more next year.

Once a week I cruise the garden and look out for things like yellow leaves, spider mites, (you'll see the spider webs), aphids, mildew or black spot. Then I can treat it right away and I don't lose too much.

I must admit that I use roundup when I get weeds in the cracks between my pavers. They are impossible any other way.

Guess I've filled up your garden shed now. It's not as complicated as it seems. Start with the foliar spray - acid and one that is balanced - And then one that is low nitrogen for your flowering plants. You'll still need snail bait, and an anti-fungal. Put this into your computer files. It's easier than you think.

Here is one of my favorite white shade plants: Bunnera "Jack Frost". It's new for me but it has performed like a champ - and the snails don't eat it. I'll put in more this spring.

Moonglow, are you going to grow Iris in your pond, or just put them around it? And when you mean "dry" Japanese garden, are you talking about rocks and gravel with a few plants?