Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Clematis: trumpet vine that grows and grows but never flowers, 0 by doss

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright doss

In reply to: trumpet vine that grows and grows but never flowers

Forum: Clematis

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of trumpet vine that grows and grows but never flowers
doss wrote:
I get most of my fragrance from my honeysuckle vines. I also love fragrant Bearded Iris - thank goodness they've made some of them bloom a lot of the year. I have one with a fabulous fragrance blooming now named"Harvest of Memories". It's been blooming since the end of September. "Sugar Blues" is another one that reblooms and is heaven. And I have a shrub that smells heavenly in the spring when it blooms. One of my projects for the spring is to identify it. Oh, and lavender and a few roses of course. Roses are hard here - they tend to mildew because of our cool nights and hot days. Clematis do look horrible part of the year. The Armandii doesn't go dormant here in the winter which is good since it is growing on the beam holding up the patio - and it's right out the kitchen window.

If you hate the way clematis look, you can grow them up a shrub or up a tree. I have a Jackmanii that is virtually invisible all winter in it's shrub - then it blooms all summer. But you're right, no fragrance. It grows in the shrub against the fence at the right of the picture - right behind the heron. It's early November - and magic, no clematis!