Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Greenhouse: no heat greenhouse, 0 by CricketsGarden

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright CricketsGarden

In reply to: no heat greenhouse

Forum: Greenhouse

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of no heat greenhouse
CricketsGarden wrote:
SKY--we are in the same boat-----I just moved here last year---and of coarse the greenhouse didnt do so well the first year---but the second year is always better---each year gets better. I know how ya feel. And lots of luck to ya this year. crossing fingers for ya.

I have room for 16 flats( over heat cables)and my boxes are a foot deep so i can cover the box with plastic at night too.
And guess what----filed my tax return----gonna have enough to buy and put up a 16*96 greenhouse---im beside myself!!!!!!!total cost $1,600.00 for the frame, poly, ground cover, 2*4s.

I think our average coldest nights goes down to 18-19 degrees F. Once in a while in Feb it goes down to 10 or wind chills of -2 but not very often.
Feb is normally our coldest month. off and on.

My brain is going around in circles. lol

I do have a unvented propane heater and little tank. propane is expensive here.($1.86 gal)

I have two electric heaters--those small space heaters if i need extra heat. The seedling hoophouse is 12*15----just big enough to start all my seedlings and larger tomato plants for bigger pots.

MICHAEL---- did you just hang those lights above your seed flats with poly draped over the light fixtures. Floresant???? I have 3 sets of Floresant Light fixtures too----with the Grow light bulbs---4 ft fixtures.

And of all things---i want to try growing tomatoes in those 5 gallon grow bags in the greenhouse ---the greenhouse will have manual side curtains for air flow---the top will stay covered to keep rain off the plants---so i can control the watering and try to prevent the cracks they get. I'll be growing 240 plants in the greenhouse and 240 outside the house--- cant wait to see the outcome--hope im not disappointed. That should be profit of $6000 by it self after expenses.
And i sell alot of 6" better bush and better boy tomatoes for $1 each==$0.50 each is profit. Am i selling these too cheep?

Have i chatted your eyes off yet?

cricket

small sed house frame::::::in the back ground--uncovered back in the summer of 2004