Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Irises: Companion plants for iris?, 0 by doss

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright doss

In reply to: Companion plants for iris?

Forum: Irises

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Companion plants for iris?
doss wrote:
Love the picture of the garden with the great iris. In the first picture you are looking at a corner which is about 50 feet radius. It is also on a slope so that it helps with depth perception. I have about 100 bearded iris and I have had heard the comment that they are ugly so much of the year - but they took it back when they saw the garden. They are such a great vertical element in the garden. My reblooming ones really make a difference at this time of year when only the Dahlias and Cannas are blooming - and well, we have some beautiful hydrangea heads. The two reblooming now are "Harvest Of Memories" (bright yellow and very fragrant) edging the lawn - I grow them there with their stunning selves all alone - and "Lenora Pearl" (a Pale peach with a light fragrance) -You've seen that one in the picture. I planted quite a few rebloomers this year so I'm looking forward to beautiful flowers two times a year, although I'm sure that you agree, one time is enough to make these beautys worthwhile.

I do try to plant them in all the settings in the garden. They are in a very asian garden setting, the dry creek situation, by the pool (they are perfect for pool settings) and right smack in the middle of my perenial garden. I also have some next to the street with two olive trees and a Fuyu persimmon. I love them with fruit trees because they don't get bugs or diseases that have to be treated. Then they are anyplace where there is enough sun to put them. Although the Iris are in the background in this picture, I think you get the idea.