Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Trees, Shrubs and Conifers: What is your favorite Ilex Opaca?, 0 by ViburnumValley

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright ViburnumValley

In reply to: What is your favorite Ilex Opaca?

Forum: Trees, Shrubs and Conifers

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of What is your favorite Ilex Opaca?
ViburnumValley wrote:
Hi RosemaryK:

Good luck with your American Holly (Ilex opaca) collection and plantings. The selections you\'ve mentioned are fine clones, and you should be happy with them.

As a long time member of the Holly Society of America, and having spent 8 years in leadership in that august organization through its 70th anniversary in 2017, I have more than a passing interest in gardeners\' successes with this great genus of plants. I\'m also a big fan of the history of the organization and the great people that have populated and promoted these plants over the decades. The Cape Cod area has had more than its share of illustrious members, and you might want to consider the modest membership to join the HSA so that you can take advantage of all the benefits of \"Knowing and Growing More Holly\".

One of the finest gentlemen I came to know over those years is Bill Cannon of Brewster, MA (BROO - stah to you). He has an amazing Holly collection on his modest property, and has sold/distributed excellent plants for many years. A wealth of knowledge and generous to a fault, he would probably invite you to tour his plants and provide you every bit of information you can imagine (if you were an HSA member).

I have some very good documents relating to history of American Holly and people associated with developing and amplifying its use on Cape Cod. I will send you a separate Dmail, and see if you want to exchange information so that I can forward documentation like this to you.

Of the ones you mentioned, I have grown \'Satyr Hill\' and \'Dan Fenton\'. I also really like \'Jersey Princess\', \'Judy Evans\', \'Farage\', \'Lady Alice\', \'Portia Orton\', and \'Magna Semen\'.

Here are images of a couple excellent American Holly selections made by Mr. Wilfrid Wheeler of Cape Cod over a century ago:

**\'St. Mary\'
**\'Freeman\'